Wednesday, May 4, 2016

It's All True

How can so many things be true at the same time? My brain is having a hard time coping with all of the information it's been receiving. Let me give you a few examples:

My daughter is finally potty-trained (praise be, Hallelujah!).
Beyonce walked the red carpet at the Met Gala... alone.

My 16-month-old's favorite word is "cheese" and she says it every time she sees a phone because she assumes it will be used to take a picture of her.
Donald Trump is the presumptive nominee of the Republican party. 

It's time to plant my early crops in my vegetable garden even though warm weather may never actually arrive.
Jojo Gaines is officially the coolest woman alive. 

Mother's Day is this weekend and OMG I love my mom and need to send her something.
We don't hear even a quarter of what is actually going on in this world on the news.

Just finished a presentation to a group of Beachbody coaches about expanding their reach.
Princess Kate was on the cover of British Vogue and HOW DO I GET A COPY?

My husband is residing our house beginning this summer and the scaffolding he ordered just arrived.
I just heard a piece on NPR about two Syrian families living in refugee camps in Macedonia with their children and I just cannot imagine.

I think Charlotte may be getting ready to give up her afternoon nap. She is over 3, after all.
One of the children from the NPR story sits on her father's lap while he strokes her hair. She just vomited from food poisoning - a soup kitchen's egg sandwich.

Harper is just like her older sister- loves her warm milk after her nap. My sweet 16-month-old sitting with her big sister on the couch makes my heart swell.
One of the father's at the camp in Macedonia traveled with the rest of his family from Syria. The father and their 6-month-old daughter were separated from the rest of the family while being loaded onto boats. Rather than being breastfed, she drinks milk out of a bottle on his lap as he wonders how they will reunite with her mother. 


How can all of these thoughts coexist? How can all these realities coexist? How on earth can there be so much abundance and so much lack? How can there be so much beauty and so much need? So much silliness and so much gravity? 

I have no answers, I offer no wisdom. I'm just here witnessing to the fact that this world of ours is a paradox and we dwell in it. That when we open ourselves up to the extremities, we open ourselves up to the truth. It's all true. All of it.

We exist in paradox. We care about silly little things and huge, world-changing things. We get stuck in the weeds of every day life but also see the landscape of our time. And you know what? It's all true. It's all real. 

And if that makes you feel crazy sometimes, you're not alone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment